lundi 12 mai 2014

The Book Thief (4ème/Groupe2)

Title: The Book Thief

Author: Markus Zusak

Genre: historical, adventure

Death is the narrator of that fantastic story about a little girl stealing Jewish books during the dangerous period of a Nazi Germany. The story takes place during the Second World War, when Liesel Meminger is sent to a richer family as her mother cant keep her anymore. On the way to their new home, Liesel steals her first book: The Gravediggers Handbook. She then meets her new parents, a severe mother (Rosa) and a lazy father (Hans) who both love her very much. She also makes her first friend, Rudy (whos secretly in love with her). Liesel steals her second book from the fire when Jewish books are being burnt for Hitlers birthday. She also discovers that her real father was a « communist » and that’s why her mother had to leave her with another family. One night, a Jewish fugitive called Max comes to her home. His father has saved Hans in World War 1: they have to take him in. Liesel discovers a new religion and an awesome friendship begins between the two of them What will happen next? Will Max be discovered? Read to know

Why I chose this book? My mother told me it was (and it is) the no.1 International Bestseller and that I could really enjoy the story.

What I enjoyed about the book:  I LOVED this book. The story is perfect, the sentences are simple and short, the vocabulary isnt too difficult for me and theres a lot of little hints of humour.

Level I would recommend it to pupils from group 2 and up as the vocabulary is sometimes tricky.

Rating: 5/5 If I could, I would put 6/5 =D

First Name of the reviewer: Jeanne


Class/ English group: 4°/ 2group